cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: back to monolithic cayenne.jar?
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:05:23 GMT
Now that I gave it some thought, I actually like the idea of a system modular by default, but
including cayenne-all.jar on top of that. It has none of the drawbacks of our old “synthetic”
cayenne-server and cayenne-client. More practically, turns out that cleanly splitting the
core and server classes is much more effort than I am ready to undertake now. So we ended
up with these modules:

 cayenne-di.jar
 cayenne-server.jar => cayenne-di
 cayenne-client.jar => cayenne-di, cayenne-server

I guess I’ll leave it at that until a later time when we can cut smaller modules out of
cayenne-server.

Andrus

On Nov 17, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2013, at 12:27 AM, Adrian A. <a.adrian.tech@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. Monolithic cayenne.jar for regular apps, for ROP clients, for CayenneModeler
>>> 2. Partial modularity - Client/server split between the modules, with separate
DI and backend-indepdendent “core” :
>>> Anyways, these are our options… Feel free to comment, while I continue my refactoring.
>> What about offering both? The modules, but also a "cayenne-all.jar"
>> (or simply "cayenne.jar") ?
>>

>> Adrian
>
> This will take us back to aggregation of multiple modules into one. It was not a pretty
picture, so now I am *hoping* we can align the source modules with the binaries that we release.
However this can be an option for non-maven users I guess.