cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cayenne logging
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 14:02:53 GMT
I suspect it may perform slightly better to not using the JCL to SLF
bridge, so that's a good reason to switch.

But as long as Cayenne depends on other libraries that use
commons-logging, then all we really do is make things more complicated
for end users.    Right now you can use commons-logging.  Or you can
use SLF with the commons-logging bridge.   If we switch Cayenne to use
SLF, then we force users to have to configure for both.

Ideally, we'd try to convince our dependencies to use SLF as well.   I
don't remember which ones use commons-logging, so I don't know how
hard it would be to sell it.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> In my own environment SLF is becoming more and more common. If that is the case with
everyone else, this would mean that using SLF would mean fewer hoops to jump for the majority
of users. So I wouldn't mind if we switch. But since there are ways to bridge from JCL to
SLF, as well as from SLF to JCL, theoretically both loggers should work the same everywhere.
So maybe the solution lies in documenting jcl-over-slf4j.jar bridge in our docs?