cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Git?
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 10:47:49 GMT
Since I sometimes lurk around infra, I'd be happy to help. However, I am not clear on what
the goals are. Is this mainly about being able to commit offline? Or is there a goal to attract
new developers with a better github experience?

Since one of the limitations of git is that you cannot clone less than the whole project,
I think we should consider splitting http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/
into a separate repo, with tutorials under it.

I don't agree about leaving 'archive' behind in svn, unless we are sure we never want anyone
to find or work on those resources ever again. Once the main repo is moved, no-one is likely
to work on an old archive repository.

Ari

On 3/03/13 8:48pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Just found this Jira about Wicket migration to Git:

> It has just enough info for us to kickstart the process I hope. So before I open a similar
Jira, I guess we need to decide 2 things:

> 1. who'll be our infra/git volunteers. I am ready to be one. We'll likely need one more.
>
> 2. The breakdown of the target Git repo. We have a bunch of top level directories under
here:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/
>
> "main", "site" and "artwork" are all active and up-to-date. So those will become individual
repos. The rest are somewhat stale, but we don't want it to disappear of course. I guess once
we get access to the Git repo and see if we can use subfolders for repos, we'll create a folder
called "archive" and move the remaining stuff under it. Or just keep it in SVN (which we'll
likely keep around, just like Tapestry and Wicket did).

> Thoughts?
>
> Andrus
>

> On Nov 2, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Robert Zeigler <robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
>> Tapestry did make the switch to git awhile back. Unfortunately, due to finishing
up my schooling, I have not been as actively involved the last while as I would like. I might
have the git-switch discussions saved somewhere that I can dig through to see how to get the
process rolling.

>> Robert
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2012, at 11/13:52 PM , Michael Gentry wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure, but I kind of thought the Tapestry project had already
>>> done it, so perhaps someone there could comment if they have.  I've
>>> only used Git through GitHub thus far and am still a novice, but it
>>> does have some nice features.
>>>
>>> mrg

list in an unrelated thread (see the link above). I'd love if we could do away with svn and
git-svn and go Git all the way. Anyone has any insight on where Infra stands on that and how
to sign up Cayenne for Git switchover?

--
Aristedes Maniatis