cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 3.1B2
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 07:32:37 GMT

On Feb 8, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

> Nicely done. Very good time to get this out. I'd like to ask some questions:
>
> 1. Why is the repository folder named the way it is? What doesorgapachecayenne-200 refer
to?

This is a semi-opaque unique ID generated by Nexus. This is a temporary staging repo per ASF
release procedure doc. Once the vote is complete, these artifacts are propagated to Maven
Central, and the temp repo is deleted.

> 2.What are all the things in that folder:
>
> - cayenne-project
> - unpublished (di injection)... why is that in an unpublished folder? I know that comes
from the src folder naming, but should that be in the repository?

Unfortunately we have to expose unpublished modules (and cayenne-project that is otherwise
packaged inside the Modeler) via Maven for the sake of Cayenne Maven plugins. Maven reorg
is certainly in order in 3.2.

> - the tutorials are in a folder called "parents". But the actual Cayenne parent is in
a folder called "cayenne-parent"

These I would actually completely exclude from Maven deployment in the future. Also need to
check on the pom structure (see Maven reog mention above). All I can remember now is that
tutorials needed their own parent, and could not use the common Cayenne parent to stay self-contained
and easy to understand by the new users.

> -the top level archetype-catalog.xml is empty

I am not even sure what this file is for. Nexus creates it, it is not ours :)

> 3. What are we reviewing and voting on anyway? The repository items or the items which
are built in the usual way and found in p.a.o/~aadamchik?

Per Apache legal requirements, we are voting on http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.1B2/cayenne-3.1B2-src.tar.gz
- the source distro only. In practical terms we are voting on all of the above together.

Andrus