cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: cayenne.adapter.[domain].[node] property
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:53:15 GMT

On Dec 14, 2012, at 1:29 AM, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, that helps.  One question below.
>
>> I believe this property was removed a good while back although it was
>>> present in 3.1 earlier: cayenne.adapter.[domain].[node] property
>>> Why was it removed?  Can we put it back?
>>
>> You can implement your own DbAdapterFactory that takes adapter name from a
>> property.
>>

> Sure, but since properties like "cayenne.jdbc.driver" are already provided,
> isn't it incomplete to not provide one for the adapter too?

I think the 2 objects are different. DataSource information is expected to be fluid across
different environments of the same application, and there's no way we can build zero-configuration
"AutoDataSource".

> Or are you just assuming people will use AutoAdapter?

Pretty much. It was assumed that between (1) AutoAdapter with its accommodation of possible
user adapters via  Constants.SERVER_ADAPTER_DETECTORS_LIST list and (2) user ability to specify
a fixed adapter class in the Modeler (see DataNode -> Adapter) we had everybody covered.

So why is AutoAdapter insufficient in your case?

Andrus