cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 06:09:36 GMT

On Nov 5, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> I also have a post launch cleanup list that will require their involvement:
>>
>> * stop cwiki.a.o rsync (you control this one IIRC?)
>> * delete all autoexported files on cwiki.a.o (infra)
>> * track down unlinked files in docroot, delete them, creating 301 redirects where
applicable. (me or any other Cayenne committer)

> Actually I suspect I can just ask Infra to discard our entire website folder and replace
it with the Apache CMS folder. So we should look for 'unlinked' pages now. Personally I can't
think of any, and we could review Google webmaster tools after the change to see what pages
people link to that are gone. I'll set that up now…

That'll work.

>>> I think the next focus needs to be on getting docbook finished so we can add
3.1 to the left menu. I'm happy to help copy in existing documentation, but Andrus, you said
that you wanted to restructure the docs for this project. Perhaps you want to work on it,
or outline what you had in mind?

>> Yep. I can create a more site-centric HTML template for docbook and do a manual initial
docs dump from the main SVN tree into the "site" and adding needed menus. Once that's live,
we can work on improving CSS, etc.

> Are we talking about the same thing? I'm not talking about the html template so much
as the content of the docbook itself. It is currently missing lots of content from Confluence
and in the past you said that you did not want to just copy it over but to rearrange it into
more helpful structures. Moving stuff into docbook takes a bit of effort, so any structure
changes should be done first.

Yes, the new docbook stuff is about rearranging and a substantial rewrite of the wiki docs.
It is still unfinished, and I'd rather we do not just move the old wikidocs to it. That would
defeat the purpose of the "modernizing" effort done so far.

At the same time I think it is in a shape good enough to be published as "master" 3.1 (and
3.2) documentation set on the site, while I am slowly rewriting the remaining chapters. It
should be much more useful to 3.1 users then just cloning the old 3.0 wiki docs (which is
what we essentially have on the current site). And publishing would require HTML (and PDF)
templates cleanup.

Andrus