cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Moving "merge" package to cayenne-tools in 3.2?
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:37:13 GMT
Ok, the moment after I wrote this, I realized how deep this thing goes. To do what I want here
would require seriously rewriting DbAdapter. This is much more effort than I am willing to
invest now. So I am putting it on hold until we are ready to start a general modularity discussion.

Andrus

On Nov 11, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> However, if it is in a separate jar or not is not important.
>
> Yeah, good point. I guess I'll proceed and attempt to consolidate everything related
to schema and metadata manipulation in 'tools'. Kind of like we consolidated project saving/loading/upgrading/validation
functions under cayenne-project in 3.1.

> Andrus
>
> On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:44 PM, Tore Halset <halset@pvv.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> We use the merge package in our web applications during startup to perform some not-destructive
database migration. Like adding fields, expanding fields and so on. This makes database migration
a lot easier for us since most of it is done automatically. For us, this is more useful than
having merge in the modeler.

>> However, if it is in a separate jar or not is not important.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tore Halset.
>>
>> On Nov 10, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder we should move "merge" package to cayenne-tools from cayenne-server
in 3.2. To me schema manipulation operations are somewhat separate from the runtime part.
(So DbLoader and DbGenerator are also candidates for a similar move, maybe later).

>>> "merge" main use seems to be from the Modeler, which imports cayenne-tools.jar.
And of course cayenne-tools is available via Maven, and other Cayenne distribution channels.

>>> Any reason to keep it in the runtime framework?
>>>
>>> Andrus
>>>
>>> P.S. I am also looking at much more glaring modularity issues with Cayenne (the
whole "unpublished" thing that we discussed on many occasions), but don't have any proposals
yet, so figured we'd start with things more confined in scope.