cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Tore Halset <hal...@pvv.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: Moving "merge" package to cayenne-tools in 3.2?
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:44:45 GMT
Hello.

We use the merge package in our web applications during startup to perform some not-destructive
database migration. Like adding fields, expanding fields and so on. This makes database migration
a lot easier for us since most of it is done automatically. For us, this is more useful than
having merge in the modeler.

However, if it is in a separate jar or not is not important.

Regards,
Tore Halset.

On Nov 10, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> I wonder we should move "merge" package to cayenne-tools from cayenne-server in 3.2.
To me schema manipulation operations are somewhat separate from the runtime part. (So DbLoader
and DbGenerator are also candidates for a similar move, maybe later).

> "merge" main use seems to be from the Modeler, which imports cayenne-tools.jar. And of
course cayenne-tools is available via Maven, and other Cayenne distribution channels.

> Any reason to keep it in the runtime framework?
>
> Andrus
>
> P.S. I am also looking at much more glaring modularity issues with Cayenne (the whole
"unpublished" thing that we discussed on many occasions), but don't have any proposals yet,
so figured we'd start with things more confined in scope.