cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:58:43 GMT
Nicely done polishing off those last remaining tasks... My look around the site reveals nothing
that needs to be fixed before launch, so let's do it. I think infra will need to be involved
to switch the website over from the current synchronisation feed to Apache CMS.

I think the next focus needs to be on getting docbook finished so we can add 3.1 to the left
menu. I'm happy to help copy in existing documentation, but Andrus, you said that you wanted
to restructure the docs for this project. Perhaps you want to work on it, or outline what
you had in mind?

Ari

On 4/11/12 1:59am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Ok. I think I am done and we are ready to replace the site.
>
> Last night I played with fancy way to include live feeds (ASF::Value::Blogs, ASF::Value::Twitter,
etc.) Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I narrowed it down to third-party XML::Atom::Feed
not returning any entries and left it at that for now.

> This morning I ported 2 years worth of blog posts to markdown (and even preserved the
article URLs!), and simply linked to them from the home page. The whole process was very simple,
and for our low rate of news, I don't mind keeping it as is.

> We may play with some RSS scanners in parallel without delaying the launch. For instance
I would love to get a Twitter panel showing latest stuff from https://twitter.com/ApacheCayenne
(a resource that is updated periodically), a commit feed, etc.

> Feel free to review and tweak the site at http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/ At some
point next week I'd like to flip the switch on the old site and publish the new one.

> BTW, beside following this http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#publishing do we need
any infra help to activate publishing?

> Andrus
>

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 11:50 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
>> Tonight I fixed legacy docs wrappers and created small per-version menus for each
piece of the docs. Also checked in a bunch of smaller things, like the Twitter button, doc
titles with version in them, etc.

>> News seems to be the only thing remaining before we can go live.
>>
>> Andrus

>>> Some would be nice to give the project history.

looking at Docbook produced HTML I like how clean and distraction free it is. Wanted to keep
that across the board for docs. I would imagine we'll just need a Cayenne header with a backlink
to the main site, and a copyright/privacy policy footer. Anyways, I'll refactor the templates
to maybe have a single skeleton and optional menu include. Will need to play with it a bit.

>>> Sure, that makes sense. Let me know when you are done and I'll play with the
css a bit. It is a bit ugly right now.

>>> Ari

as they are essentially incompatible. I just committed the changes, and here are the rendered
examples:

bits of the html from the Confluence export which were incompatible, leaving only (hopefully)
compatible bits. Perhaps we can put back skeleton and tweak the css a little to cope?

builds for trunk documentation.

environment? I can then style up the news items. Later on if we get really clever it seems
we might be able to have a feed on the side of recent Jira comments and svn commits. That
would be nice to show the activity that happens behind the scenes.