cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:59:17 GMT
Ok. I think I am done and we are ready to replace the site.

Last night I played with fancy way to include live feeds (ASF::Value::Blogs, ASF::Value::Twitter,
etc.) Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I narrowed it down to third-party XML::Atom::Feed
not returning any entries and left it at that for now.

This morning I ported 2 years worth of blog posts to markdown (and even preserved the article
URLs!), and simply linked to them from the home page. The whole process was very simple, and
for our low rate of news, I don't mind keeping it as is.

We may play with some RSS scanners in parallel without delaying the launch. For instance I
would love to get a Twitter panel showing latest stuff from https://twitter.com/ApacheCayenne
(a resource that is updated periodically), a commit feed, etc.

Feel free to review and tweak the site at http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/ At some point
next week I'd like to flip the switch on the old site and publish the new one.

BTW, beside following this http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#publishing do we need any
infra help to activate publishing?

Andrus

On Oct 31, 2012, at 11:50 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> Tonight I fixed legacy docs wrappers and created small per-version menus for each piece
of the docs. Also checked in a bunch of smaller things, like the Twitter button, doc titles
with version in them, etc.

> News seems to be the only thing remaining before we can go live.
>
> Andrus
>
> On Oct 31, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
>> On 31/10/12 5:20pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> I'll take a look at porting the news. Don't think we need to port many past news.
>>
>> Some would be nice to give the project history.

>>> My thinking was that we don't need left hand menu for the docs. For instance
looking at Docbook produced HTML I like how clean and distraction free it is. Wanted to keep
that across the board for docs. I would imagine we'll just need a Cayenne header with a backlink
to the main site, and a copyright/privacy policy footer. Anyways, I'll refactor the templates
to maybe have a single skeleton and optional menu include. Will need to play with it a bit.

>> Sure, that makes sense. Let me know when you are done and I'll play with the css
a bit. It is a bit ugly right now.

>> Ari
>>

>>> Andrus

as they are essentially incompatible. I just committed the changes, and here are the rendered
examples:

of the html from the Confluence export which were incompatible, leaving only (hopefully) compatible
bits. Perhaps we can put back skeleton and tweak the css a little to cope?

builds for trunk documentation.

I can then style up the news items. Later on if we get really clever it seems we might be
able to have a feed on the side of recent Jira comments and svn commits. That would be nice
to show the activity that happens behind the scenes.