cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 14:55:46 GMT
Hi Ari,

So do you think we can launch the site, and deal with remaining issues later?

Our menus are outdated and we can't publish the new docs for 3.1/3.2. We are really stuck
now. And I'd rather we sacrifice some current functionality, but make it live ASAP.

Thanks,
Andrus

On Oct 19, 2012, at 3:15 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> On Oct 18, 2012, at 4:17 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think that problem of truncated text is solvable in nice ways. But I am unclear
from the reading of the code as to how the content is included. Doesn't the Apache CMS only
get triggered on svn commit? How does it update content automatically in response to external
data from an svn feed, Jira list or RSS feed? Those things would be really nice to show the
world that stuff is happening. How nice would it be to show users the list of recent thread
subjects from the mailing list…

>> The dynamic part can be done with JavaScript. The only limitation is accessing data
from external domains. We can work around it in a few ways.

>> 1. Including externally hosted JS. E.g. Tapestry home page includes an external twitter
widget.

>> 2. We can also periodically save a given external RSS feeds to a file on our server
with a cron'd curl command, and then read it with JS hosted on our site.

> If we save a file in that way, we may not need to merge the content client-side. I see
that Apache CMS has a cgi-bin folder. Maybe we can use that to merge the content.