cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:50:34 GMT
Tonight I fixed legacy docs wrappers and created small per-version menus for each piece of
the docs. Also checked in a bunch of smaller things, like the Twitter button, doc titles with
version in them, etc.

News seems to be the only thing remaining before we can go live.

Andrus

On Oct 31, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> I'll take a look at porting the news. Don't think we need to port many past news.
>
> Some would be nice to give the project history.
>
>>> Why can't the third template extend skeleton?
>>
>> My thinking was that we don't need left hand menu for the docs. For instance looking
at Docbook produced HTML I like how clean and distraction free it is. Wanted to keep that
across the board for docs. I would imagine we'll just need a Cayenne header with a backlink
to the main site, and a copyright/privacy policy footer. Anyways, I'll refactor the templates
to maybe have a single skeleton and optional menu include. Will need to play with it a bit.

> Sure, that makes sense. Let me know when you are done and I'll play with the css a bit.
It is a bit ugly right now.

> Ari
>

>> Andrus

they are essentially incompatible. I just committed the changes, and here are the rendered
examples:

>>> Why can't the third template extend skeleton? I tried to strip out the bits of
the html from the Confluence export which were incompatible, leaving only (hopefully) compatible
bits. Perhaps we can put back skeleton and tweak the css a little to cope?

>>> I think the next steps are just news and tying in the automated docbook/javadoc
builds for trunk documentation.

>>> If we go down the Apache Blog approach for news, this is what we do:
>>>
>>> {% for e in blog.list %}
>>>      <h2><a href="{{ e.url }}">{{ e.title }}</a></h2>
}}</div>
>>>      <hr>
>>>    {% endfor %}
>>>
>>> in our path.pm file:
>>>
>>> [ qr!^/index\.mdtext$!, news_page => {
>>>         blog     => ASF::Value::Blogs->new(blog => "cayenne", limit=>
4),
>>> } ],
>>>

>>> Pluses:
>>>
>>> * people can add comments to the posts
>>> * we get broader publicity on the main apache site as well with no extra effort
>>> * there is probably an rss feed
>>>
>>> Minuses:
>>>
>>> * I don't know if we can carry forward historical news, so we'd need to handle
that separately

>>> Andrus, would you like to give this a try since you now have a local environment?
I can then style up the news items. Later on if we get really clever it seems we might be
able to have a feed on the side of recent Jira comments and svn commits. That would be nice
to show the activity that happens behind the scenes.