cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 06:20:55 GMT
I'll take a look at porting the news. Don't think we need to port many past news.

> Why can't the third template extend skeleton?

My thinking was that we don't need left hand menu for the docs. For instance looking at Docbook
produced HTML I like how clean and distraction free it is. Wanted to keep that across the
board for docs. I would imagine we'll just need a Cayenne header with a backlink to the main
site, and a copyright/privacy policy footer. Anyways, I'll refactor the templates to maybe
have a single skeleton and optional menu include. Will need to play with it a bit.

Andrus

On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:27 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> On 31/10/12 7:24am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Note that second and third templates do not extend skeleton template, as they are
essentially incompatible. I just committed the changes, and here are the rendered examples:

>> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/download.html
>> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/doc30/api/index.html
>> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/doc30/overview.html
>
> Why can't the third template extend skeleton? I tried to strip out the bits of the html
from the Confluence export which were incompatible, leaving only (hopefully) compatible bits.
Perhaps we can put back skeleton and tweak the css a little to cope?

> I think the next steps are just news and tying in the automated docbook/javadoc builds
for trunk documentation.

> If we go down the Apache Blog approach for news, this is what we do:
>
> {% for e in blog.list %}
>      <h2><a href="{{ e.url }}">{{ e.title }}</a></h2>
>      <hr>
>    {% endfor %}
>
> in our path.pm file:
>
> [ qr!^/index\.mdtext$!, news_page => {
>         blog     => ASF::Value::Blogs->new(blog => "cayenne", limit=> 4),
> } ],
>

> Pluses:
>
> * people can add comments to the posts
> * we get broader publicity on the main apache site as well with no extra effort
> * there is probably an rss feed
>
> Minuses:
>
> * I don't know if we can carry forward historical news, so we'd need to handle that separately
>

> Andrus, would you like to give this a try since you now have a local environment? I can
then style up the news items. Later on if we get really clever it seems we might be able to
have a feed on the side of recent Jira comments and svn commits. That would be nice to show
the activity that happens behind the scenes.