cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 06:54:42 GMT
Awesome!

> 1c Fix or remove news: I asked oninfra and was pointed to some similar solutions

Unless we have a plan for this, I suggest moving the most recent blog entry announcements
to Apache CMS pages, and manually filling the summary section on the home page. We'll revisit
it later.

> 1d Breadcrumb doesn't work:we have code for this, but do we even need it?

Yeah, it was useful, but not that useful to delay migration.

> I don't know where we are with 2a. Is this mostly done? Somewhat done?

The new docs are for 3.1 and 3.2 only. (Older releases will keep using SVN-checked wikidocs
of course)

The docs are not finished (we have 100% of tutorials, ~60-70% of Cayenne Guide, 1% of Modeler
Guide). But I still suggest publishing what we have in docbook and do not preserve wikidocs
for 3.1 (and 3.2). The docbook project is a complete rewrite, rather then porting of the old
docs. So it doesn't have any legacy assumptions and attempts to present a consistent picture
of the framework the way I see it now (as opposed to the way I saw it ca 2004). Conversely
wikidocs doesn't have anything on 3.1 DI, and will confuse anybody trying to get started with
Cayenne 3.1

Another issue with doc publishing - should we be tying doc publishing to CI? All doc changes
can be roughly split into two categories - those catching up with an existing release and
those corresponding to the yet unreleased code. Especially the Javadocs will mostly fall in
the second category… So maybe we do docbook+javadoc publishing manually by checking in the
built files to the site SVN folder? This way we can do both - fix doc bugs between releases
and time publishing with a given release.

Thoughts?

> I've never written Perl, so much of the scripting is a bit foreign to me.

I have some Perl skills (I can *write* in Perl, but often can't read other's code :) Perl
is "write-only" after all :)). Let me know if you need help with Perl scripting.

On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:25 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

> OK, let's see what needs to be done.
>
> Phase 1:
> Apache CMS to replace Confluence CAY main site
>
> 1a Broken links: I think I've got most of them
> 1b Broken images in a few places: I've fixed some of those now
> 1c Fix or remove news: I asked oninfra and was pointed to some similar solutions
> 1d Breadcrumb doesn't work:we have code for this, but do we even need it?
> 1e Review how we can keep both the Apache CMS deployment and mix into that the CAYDOC
pages: advice from infra was to just commit the old docs into svn. Easily enough done. I'd
just need to strip off the page template from the files. I'll do that...

> Phase 2:
> Replace CAYDOC with docbook generated documentation
>
> 2a Finish migration of all pages into docbook
> 2b Speak to infra about how the build and deployment system for docbook will work
>

> I don't know where we are with 2a. Is this mostly done? Somewhat done? Most of phase
1 is easy other than coming up with a good solution for 1c and implementing that. I've never
written Perl, so much of the scripting is a bit foreign to me.

> Ari
>

> On 28/10/12 1:55am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> Hi Ari,
>>
>> So do you think we can launch the site, and deal with remaining issues later?
>>
>> Our menus are outdated and we can't publish the new docs for 3.1/3.2. We are really
stuck now. And I'd rather we sacrifice some current functionality, but make it live ASAP.

>> Thanks,
>> Andrus

I am unclear from the reading of the code as to how the content is included. Doesn't the Apache
CMS only get triggered on svn commit? How does it update content automatically in response
to external data from an svn feed, Jira list or RSS feed? Those things would be really nice
to show the world that stuff is happening. How nice would it be to show users the list of
recent thread subjects from the mailing list…

data from external domains. We can work around it in a few ways.

our server with a cron'd curl command, and then read it with JS hosted on our site.

>>> If we save a file in that way, we may not need to merge the content client-side.
I see that Apache CMS has a cgi-bin folder. Maybe we can use that to merge the content.