cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:48:34 GMT
On Oct 29, 2012, at 11:02 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

> OK, then we just have to get it finished before we release 3.1. Until then it can serve
as partial documentation with an early focus on the new features. Sounds fair?

Yes. The plan is to finish it for 3.1-final [*], but include partial docs with betas and RCs
as we go. I am actually hoping we are on the verge of RC1 now.

>> Another issue with doc publishing - should we be tying doc publishing to CI? All
doc changes can be roughly split into two categories - those catching up with an existing
release and those corresponding to the yet unreleased code. Especially the Javadocs will mostly
fall in the second category… So maybe we do docbook+javadoc publishing manually by checking
in the built files to the site SVN folder? This way we can do both - fix doc bugs between
releases and time publishing with a given release.

> I think that tying it into CI is much simpler. Otherwise it relies on people remembering
to commit and publish.

Yes, but is this even an issue? Most docs should not be published on each code commit, and
should be deferred till we make an official release. Our releases are fairly formalized events
with a documented scenario that a release manager follows. One of the steps in this scenario
can be doc publishing.

Andrus

[*] The old docs were skipping a variety of topics related to the Modeler and ROP. I am afraid
if we want to ever release 3.1-final, we'll have to compromise on those too.