cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:04:04 GMT

On Oct 17, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> 2. Figure how to implement blog-posts (news)
>
> I tried to analyse the root apache site but I was unable to figure what drove the content
in the neat little svn, jira and apache blog dynamic content you can see here:

>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/content/index.html
>
> It would be nice to do something similar.

We have 2 issues here - where the actual blog engine should reside, and how to maintain. a
list of recent posts on the home pages.

I'd say we can start using CMS for both of these things. For the blog engine in parallel we
can experiment with some free blogging platform outside Apache. As for the summaries, manual
handling of those will allow us to better tweak the summary text, the order of entries, their
expiration, etc. In the past automatically grabbing a summary from Confluence often resulted
in truncated or otherwise unreadable text.

> 4. Replace the confluence wiki with something. It hasn't been successful at all as a
community wiki, so it will not be greatly missed.

I don't think we are under any pressure to do that. IIRC infra only wanted to get rid of Confluence
autoexport. Using Confluence as a wiki is still supported. The good thing about it is that
we can create any unorganized content that does not belong anywhere (such as design blueprints,
board reports, etc.)

What I think we should do though is link the menu to the dynamic URL of wiki, and delete the
autoexported part. And then kill stale and unsupported sections like FAQ. This should indeed
be all superseded by Docbook, user list, stackoverflow, etc.

>  But it would be nice to replace it with something. Stackoverflow or getsatisfaction,
for knowledgebase perhaps.

I am following 'apache-cayenne' tag on stackoverflow at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-cayenne
and trying to help people thereā€¦ So the knowledge base sort of grows there organically (in
addition to cayenne-user).

Andrus