cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 22:27:15 GMT
On 31/10/12 7:24am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Note that second and third templates do not extend skeleton template, as they are essentially
incompatible. I just committed the changes, and here are the rendered examples:

> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/download.html
> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/doc30/api/index.html
> http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/doc30/overview.html

Why can't the third template extend skeleton? I tried to strip out the bits of the html from
the Confluence export which were incompatible, leaving only (hopefully) compatible bits. Perhaps
we can put back skeleton and tweak the css a little to cope?

I think the next steps are just news and tying in the automated docbook/javadoc builds for
trunk documentation.

If we go down the Apache Blog approach for news, this is what we do:

{% for e in blog.list %}
       <h2><a href="{{ e.url }}">{{ e.title }}</a></h2>
       <hr>
     {% endfor %}

in our path.pm file:

[ qr!^/index\.mdtext$!, news_page => {
          blog     => ASF::Value::Blogs->new(blog => "cayenne", limit=> 4),
} ],

Pluses:

* people can add comments to the posts
* we get broader publicity on the main apache site as well with no extra effort
* there is probably an rss feed

Minuses:

* I don't know if we can carry forward historical news, so we'd need to handle that separately

Andrus, would you like to give this a try since you now have a local environment? I can then
style up the news items. Later on if we get really clever it seems we might be able to have
a feed on the side of recent Jira comments and svn commits. That would be nice to show the
activity that happens behind the scenes.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis