cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:17:25 GMT
On 18/10/12 1:04am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
>>> 2. Figure how to implement blog-posts (news)
>>
>> I tried to analyse the root apache site but I was unable to figure what drove the
content in the neat little svn, jira and apache blog dynamic content you can see here:

>>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/content/index.html
>>
>> It would be nice to do something similar.
>
> We have 2 issues here - where the actual blog engine should reside, and how to maintain.
a list of recent posts on the home pages.

> I'd say we can start using CMS for both of these things. For the blog engine in parallel
we can experiment with some free blogging platform outside Apache. As for the summaries, manual
handling of those will allow us to better tweak the summary text, the order of entries, their
expiration, etc. In the past automatically grabbing a summary from Confluence often resulted
in truncated or otherwise unreadable text.

I think that problem of truncated text is solvable in nice ways. But I am unclear from the
reading of the code as to how the content is included. Doesn't the Apache CMS only get triggered
on svn commit? How does it update content automatically in response to external data from
an svn feed, Jira list or RSS feed? Those things would be really nice to show the world that
stuff is happening. How nice would it be to show users the list of recent thread subjects
from the mailing list...

>> 4. Replace the confluence wiki with something. It hasn't been successful at all as
a community wiki, so it will not be greatly missed.

> I don't think we are under any pressure to do that. IIRC infra only wanted to get rid
of Confluence autoexport. Using Confluence as a wiki is still supported. The good thing about
it is that we can create any unorganized content that does not belong anywhere (such as design
blueprints, board reports, etc.)

> What I think we should do though is link the menu to the dynamic URL of wiki, and delete
the autoexported part. And then kill stale and unsupported sections like FAQ. This should
indeed be all superseded by Docbook, user list, stackoverflow, etc.

Perhaps, but the real issue with the wiki is that it isn't. A wiki that is. Too hard for users
to create an account and edit or add information. I want something with anonymous (or simple
sign up) editing. Often I find the most usable solutions are things like manuals with user
comments at the bottom. The PHP manual has been like that for 10 years. Also the mysql manual
and more recently the Apache httpd manual.

>>   But it would be nice to replace it with something. Stackoverflow or getsatisfaction,
for knowledgebase perhaps.

> I am following 'apache-cayenne' tag on stackoverflow at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-cayenne
and trying to help people thereā€¦ So the knowledge base sort of grows there organically (in
addition to cayenne-user).

Good. But we should drive people toward that if it is to become our defacto knowledgebase.
That might be just a link (easy) or a feed of recent topics (again, don't understand how this
technology is supposed to work in the Apache CMS).

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis