cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Website CMS
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:48:40 GMT
On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> Yes, but is this even an issue? Most docs should not be published on each code commit,
and should be deferred till we make an official release. Our releases are fairly formalized
events with a documented scenario that a release manager follows. One of the steps in this
scenario can be doc publishing.

> Personally I rather see the documents as living things where fixes and improvements are
continuously rolled out. Waiting 18 months to release doc fixes or improvements doesn't seem
helpful.

We are talking about 2 complimentary scenarios here:

1. the docs (including Javadocs) that describe the code that is yet unreleased.
2. the docs that describe things already released and available.

I'd say we should wait 18 months (or whatever it takes to release the underlying code) with
#1. And you are absolutely right about #2. So I guess we need publishing scenarios for both
cases and then see how that maps to CI.

I will try to find time to check the Perl stuff…

Andrus

On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> Yes, but is this even an issue? Most docs should not be published on each code commit,
and should be deferred till we make an official release. Our releases are fairly formalized
events with a documented scenario that a release manager follows. One of the steps in this
scenario can be doc publishing.

> Personally I rather see the documents as living things where fixes and improvements are
continuously rolled out. Waiting 18 months to release doc fixes or improvements doesn't seem
helpful.

> I've now imported doc12/doc20/doc30 into our new CMS, ripped out the headers and footers
in each file, and converted the Title into the same format as the other pages. I left out
/doc for now until we understand whether we'll be able to get our docbook up to speed for
3.1.

>   http://cayenne.staging.apache.org/doc30/overview.html
>

> The problem here is some Perl you might be able to help with. Look at path.pm, we probably
need to add a line like:

> 	[qr!\.html$!, single_narrative => { template => "single_narrative.html" }],
>
> and then edit view.pm where you see
>
>        sub single_narrative {
>
> Ideally we'd disable Django processing ( http://search.cpan.org/~maluku/Dotiac-0.8/lib/Dotiac/DTL.pm
) but we still want it to parse the "Title" tag in the top of the page. I can't find which
bit of code does that.

> Next, for the docs inside the /api/ folder, we want to stop it adding any templating
at all. I guess that's another path.pm entry.

> Some of this will be trial and error I think....
>

> I'm chatting to a Lucene guy about how they did their news on their home page. http://lucenenet.apache.org/
Seems simple enough but it means we'd move to the Apache Blog tool for all our news entries.
It is pretty ugly: