cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [CAY-1683]- Injectable PkGenerator
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:57:10 GMT
When designing DI (and specifically filling in the standard DI modules), I always asked myself
a question whether this or that piece is a part of "model" or "runtime services". Before DI
was in place, our model was in a way fulfilling DI role, so we'd stick something like a JGroups
port in it, which was completely inflexible of course... Now all the runtime decisions about
this or that "service" can be deferred till runtime, i.e. *after* modeling, which is good
and flexible.

I think with PkGenerator we have a similar case. We allow the model to define a few standard
strategies, but then override (or implement them) depending on deployment conditions if needed.
Very similar to how DI handles DbAdapter now.

Andrus

On Jul 6, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> I think it would be nice if alternative PK generators could be
> specified in the Modeler.
>
> mrg
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> Per this document Cayenne supports various PK generation strategies with "Meaningful
Primary Key" being user-defined, and the rest generated by the framework:

>> http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/primary-key-generation.html
>>
>> PkGenerator is an existing interface that implements these strategies. The task is
about making it managed by Cayenne dependency injection (DI) container. A similar task done
in 3.1 was switching DbAdapter to DI. Currently DbAdapter owns PkGenerator. The task is about
breaking this dependency and making PkGenerator directly injectable where it is needed.

>> BTW this may sound simple, but is actually a fairly deep design task. So if you feel
like you need to learn Cayenne runtime before taking on it, I'd recommend maybe other tasks
from my earlier list. But of course you are welcome to take on this one right away :)