cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: [CAY-1683]- Injectable PkGenerator
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 14:31:49 GMT
I think it would be nice if alternative PK generators could be
specified in the Modeler.

mrg

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Per this document Cayenne supports various PK generation strategies with "Meaningful
Primary Key" being user-defined, and the rest generated by the framework:

> http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/primary-key-generation.html
>
> PkGenerator is an existing interface that implements these strategies. The task is about
making it managed by Cayenne dependency injection (DI) container. A similar task done in 3.1
was switching DbAdapter to DI. Currently DbAdapter owns PkGenerator. The task is about breaking
this dependency and making PkGenerator directly injectable where it is needed.

> BTW this may sound simple, but is actually a fairly deep design task. So if you feel
like you need to learn Cayenne runtime before taking on it, I'd recommend maybe other tasks
from my earlier list. But of course you are welcome to take on this one right away :)