cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: [CAY-1683]- Injectable PkGenerator
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:29:07 GMT
It is probably habit, but the first place I'd look to see the PK
generation information is in the Modeler.

mrg

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> When designing DI (and specifically filling in the standard DI modules), I always asked
myself a question whether this or that piece is a part of "model" or "runtime services". Before
DI was in place, our model was in a way fulfilling DI role, so we'd stick something like a
JGroups port in it, which was completely inflexible of course... Now all the runtime decisions
about this or that "service" can be deferred till runtime, i.e. *after* modeling, which is
good and flexible.

> I think with PkGenerator we have a similar case. We allow the model to define a few standard
strategies, but then override (or implement them) depending on deployment conditions if needed.
Very similar to how DI handles DbAdapter now.

> Andrus
>

> On Jul 6, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
>> I think it would be nice if alternative PK generators could be
>> specified in the Modeler.
>>
>> mrg
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> Per this document Cayenne supports various PK generation strategies with "Meaningful
Primary Key" being user-defined, and the rest generated by the framework:

>>> http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/primary-key-generation.html
>>>
>>> PkGenerator is an existing interface that implements these strategies. The task
is about making it managed by Cayenne dependency injection (DI) container. A similar task
done in 3.1 was switching DbAdapter to DI. Currently DbAdapter owns PkGenerator. The task
is about breaking this dependency and making PkGenerator directly injectable where it is needed.

>>> BTW this may sound simple, but is actually a fairly deep design task. So if you
feel like you need to learn Cayenne runtime before taking on it, I'd recommend maybe other
tasks from my earlier list. But of course you are welcome to take on this one right away :)