cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Can we drop Java 1.5 support in Cayenne 3.2?
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 02:03:51 GMT
Yes, dropping 1.5. Which is really all about dropping support for any 32bit Mac. Windows and
Unix/Linux machines can run 1.6 on old 32bit hardware. But OSX will not.

I think we should be careful to frame this conversation around years rather than generations.
Apple are moving to a 'release often' approach which means that a generation may only be 18
months. I notice that many of my customers never bothered going from 10.6 to 10.7 since there
were very few new features they cared about. For the Cayenne project that means we may need
to support older Java releases for longer.

Sorry I introduced the red herring of Java 7. I've recently been trying to get my head around
what is happening there on OSX, and found few clear answers.

Ari

On 9/07/12 10:01pm, Michael Gentry wrote:
> I thought this discussion was about dropping support for 1.5, not for 1.6?
>
> I suppose there could be some issues with OS X users still on Tiger
> (or older), but that OS is several generations old at this point.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>> On 7/07/12 12:45am, Michael Gentry wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm OK with going to Java 1.6.
>>>
>>> As for the Mac OS concerns, Java 1.6 is available pre-OS X 10.7, plus
>>> developers need to be cognizant of their deployment environments when
>>> choosing frameworks, so I don't see that as a huge issue.
>>

>> Yes, for 95% of developers, who mostly now work in the cloud, they control
>> the deployment environment absolutely. For those of us who write bits of
>> software for people to download and install, you have to cope with the
>> inevitable "the previous version worked, why doesn't this one?".
>>
>> I am still waiting to see how the OSX Java environment works out, since that
>> is really the only problem area. I don't see any clear indications as to
>> whether Java 7 will be backported to OSX 10.6. Or what the update mechanism
>> will be for users. Or what the Swing L&F will be. Did Apple donate their
>> Java UI extensions back to the openjdk project?
>>

>> Ari
>>

>> --
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis