cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From John Huss <johnth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Eclipse Plugin preview
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:03:12 GMT
I was interested in trying out the eclipse plug-in and it wasn't working.
 I seem to have resolved the problem with a little change to the Manifest
file that I just committed.  It would nice to make this plugin available
somewhere even if only as a link to the jar.  It's easy enough to download
the jar and put it in the eclipse "dropins" folder.   Having a full
"update-site" is better, but for the short term, how about adding a link to
the jar?

Here's a link to my updated jar:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2080408/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>wrote:

> Just tried it for the first time myself. Pretty cool! Thanks to all who
> made it happen.
>
> Building... Before you can do "mvn clean install", you need to do a fresh
> local build of Cayenne trunk, as it is a dependency. For those who don't
> want to build it, I placed the jar here
> http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jarto
move along this discussion.

> Now a bit of bikeshedding...
>
> * The naming of plugin doesn't seem to be the same as most other Eclipse
> plugins:
> cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar vs. say
> org.apache.commons.codec_1.3.0.v20100518-1140.jar
> * Screen positioning and size doesn't take into account preferences saved
> from the Modeler started previously outside Eclipse. Other preferences are
> used correctly.
> * We'll need better icons. The current ones don't have transparency.
>
> But the above is all minor. The plugin works and I hope will become a
> platform for further Modeler integration with Eclipse. So everybody who's
> interested in that, please give it a try and let's discuss our next steps:
>
> 1. How are we going to release this - include the jar in Cayenne core?
> release it separately? are there any licensing obstacles to releasing the
> plugin within Apache (incompatible deps)?
>
> 2. What are the immediate next features that we need to make it more
> useful / more user-friendly?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Andrus
>

> On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
>
> > There is a lot of time passed since the idea of Cayenne Eclipse
> integration appeared. And finally we have actual code in our svn repository
> (thanks to Eshan and Ksenia mentoring him for their work). I've fixed some
> bugs and did some cleanup on the code last days and it seems like the
> plugin is quite workable.
> > As a benefit of Eclipse integration we receive such useful thing as
> ability to open project in Cayenne Modeler right from Eclipse IDE just by
> double clicking on Cayenne project's xml file (now all cayenne xml files
> are marked with Cayenne icon in Eclipse) at Project Explorer view. And
> another handy feature is automatic class regeneration and update of Eclipse
> project when we save it in the Modeler.
> >
> > To try it you just need to do svn checkout from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-gsoc/and
build it with maven by running "mvn clean install". Then copy