cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Eclipse Plugin preview
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 05:59:42 GMT
Awesome, thanks! I think it is a bit too early to officially release the plugin (it is too
raw IMO), but having "unofficial" snapshot jars available for people to try is probably a
good idea. I also have an older version at http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar
.

Andrus

On Jun 7, 2012, at 1:03 AM, John Huss wrote:

> [...]
> file that I just committed.  It would nice to make this plugin available
> somewhere even if only as a link to the jar.  It's easy enough to download
> the jar and put it in the eclipse "dropins" folder.   Having a full
> "update-site" is better, but for the short term, how about adding a link to
> the jar?
>
> Here's a link to my updated jar:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2080408/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>wrote:
>
>> Just tried it for the first time myself. Pretty cool! Thanks to all who
>> made it happen.
>>
>> Building... Before you can do "mvn clean install", you need to do a fresh
>> local build of Cayenne trunk, as it is a dependency. For those who don't
>> want to build it, I placed the jar here
>> http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jarto
move along this discussion.

>> Now a bit of bikeshedding...
>>
>> * The naming of plugin doesn't seem to be the same as most other Eclipse
>> plugins:
>> cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar vs. say
>> org.apache.commons.codec_1.3.0.v20100518-1140.jar
>> * Screen positioning and size doesn't take into account preferences saved
>> from the Modeler started previously outside Eclipse. Other preferences are
>> used correctly.
>> * We'll need better icons. The current ones don't have transparency.
>>
>> But the above is all minor. The plugin works and I hope will become a
>> platform for further Modeler integration with Eclipse. So everybody who's
>> interested in that, please give it a try and let's discuss our next steps:
>>
>> 1. How are we going to release this - include the jar in Cayenne core?
>> release it separately? are there any licensing obstacles to releasing the
>> plugin within Apache (incompatible deps)?
>>
>> 2. What are the immediate next features that we need to make it more
>> useful / more user-friendly?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
>>
>>> There is a lot of time passed since the idea of Cayenne Eclipse
>> integration appeared. And finally we have actual code in our svn repository
>> (thanks to Eshan and Ksenia mentoring him for their work). I've fixed some
>> bugs and did some cleanup on the code last days and it seems like the
>> plugin is quite workable.
>>> As a benefit of Eclipse integration we receive such useful thing as
>> ability to open project in Cayenne Modeler right from Eclipse IDE just by
>> double clicking on Cayenne project's xml file (now all cayenne xml files
>> are marked with Cayenne icon in Eclipse) at Project Explorer view. And
>> another handy feature is automatic class regeneration and update of Eclipse
>> project when we save it in the Modeler.
>>>
>>> To try it you just need to do svn checkout from
build it with maven by running "mvn clean install". Then copy