cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Serialization warnings
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:30:40 GMT
Yes, but this really only has an effect if you serialise the Cayenne entities across a cluster,
or to a database (where they are read by a new version of the application which you launch).
In that case do we want to automatically throw a serialisation exception for the user when
the the change in the Cayenne model was unimportant to the operation of the application?

Isn't this something which the developer should change by hand in the subclass and not have
Cayenne automatically invalidate every object in the _superclass just because there was some
(possibly insignificant) change in the model?

Or am I missing the use cases of this feature?Are we actually helping?

Ari

On 15/06/12 7:21pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Serialized HttpSessions is one common case. This is on in Tomcat by default, so every
time you restart the server, Tomcat goes through serialization cycle.

> Andrus
>
> On Jun 15, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> On 15/06/12 6:34pm, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:
>>> Don't take this as an expert opinion, but since subclasses contain all
>>> member fields of the superclass, I'd expect that a subclass needs to
>>> have a changed SerialVersionUUID if the superclass changes.
>>>
>>> Testing this aspect might be in order.
>>
>> My question would be: test what? In the real world are SerialVersionUUID particularly
useful for Cayenne entities? With Cayenne ROP, I've never seen any code in Hessian which pays
any attention to the version. Is this more useful with a cluster of application servers and
different instances running different versions of the code? Are there are specific use cases
where Cayenne entities would be involved?

>> Ari
>>

>> --
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis