cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Serialization warnings
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:14:39 GMT
On 15/06/12 6:34pm, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:
> Don't take this as an expert opinion, but since subclasses contain all
> member fields of the superclass, I'd expect that a subclass needs to
> have a changed SerialVersionUUID if the superclass changes.
>
> Testing this aspect might be in order.

My question would be: test what? In the real world are SerialVersionUUID particularly useful
for Cayenne entities? With Cayenne ROP, I've never seen any code in Hessian which pays any
attention to the version. Is this more useful with a cluster of application servers and different
instances running different versions of the code? Are there are specific use cases where Cayenne
entities would be involved?

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis