cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Serialization warnings
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:43:27 GMT
The docs seem to imply that too:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/Serializable.html

"It is also strongly advised that explicit serialVersionUID declarations use the private modifier
where possible, since such declarations apply only to the immediately declaring class--serialVersionUID
fields are not useful as inherited members."

On Jun 15, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2012, at 7:46 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that subclass versioning would be designed to be
>> independent of the superclass versioning.
>
> I haven't researched that deeply, but IIRC this is correct. There's no inheritance of
serialVersionUID.

> Also re:superclass... If it is a CayenneDataObject subclass, it does not include any
ivars either. It is all read-through to CayenneDataObject. So all of the _Foo should have
the same  serialVersionUID.