cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Cayenne 3.1 beta 1
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:04:48 GMT

On Jun 4, 2012, at 5:48 PM, gilbertoca wrote:

> Just a curious final user here - waiting this release - , but shouldn't it
> be interesting to close/resolve as much issues as we can before a
> release?[1]
> Maybe, I'm not seen the big picture or don't understand how ASF project is
> managed!

Just like with any project, the goal is to ship the best product possible, but in some reasonable
time. So these 2 have to be balanced. FWIW I have a very long list of things I want to see
in Cayenne, and would prefer a permanent Alpha, but we have to ship stable releases occasionally
:) So now that we cloned the Beta to a separate branch (and if the release vote passes), all
bug fixes will be applied to trunk and that stable branch, all other changes that have a potential
to destabilize the API or the framework will go on trunk. So the final release stays with
a fixed feature set, but becomes more and more "stable" as we fix the the bugs. All the new
stuff goes to trunk.

> Other thing, I've started reading the docbook (well, where there is
> something written! rs rs) and found some typos - setup.xml and
> including-cayenne-in-project.xml [2]. I hope to help more with docs now. I'm
> finally using the Cayenne in a real project.

Awesome! Thanks for taking time to review the existing docs (yes, we still need to write a
lot of those, something I hoped to accomplish while in beta). With this patch I guess I can
manually fix the typos, so what you sent us is everything we need. Going forward I'd appreciate
if you could open a Jira and attach patches to it. There is a little thing to check when you
submit a patch explicitly authorizing ASF to use your contribution. Just a formality, but
makes it easier for us to include the contribution in Cayenne.

Thanks again,
Andrus