cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Non-blocking DataRowStore - need help to test
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:54:41 GMT
Here is a potentially disruptive change to Cayenne core:

(also see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1670 )

This removes the major global lock and has a potential to significantly increase throughput
(which is an issue, see CAY-1124 by Tore for instance). The implementation is based on a previously
untried by us data structure - ConcurrentLinkedHashMap - http://code.google.com/p/concurrentlinkedhashmap/
. It is used by Apache Cassandra, so presumably it works and can handle the load. I internalized
this code, placing it under org.apache.cayenne.util.concurrentlinkedhashmap.

I need help with testing though... Maybe someone has any kind of load tests that can emulate
multiple DataContexts attached to a single ServerRuntime and performing various select/modify
operations? Or maybe you are daring enough to place this in production? I will do the same
on my end.

To give some reassurance, our single-threaded unit tests pass 100% with no changes after I
swapped commons-collections LRUMap to ConcurrentLinkedHashMap.

Appreciate feedback on this feature!

Thanks,
Andrus