cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:59:20 GMT

On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> A more concrete proposal:
> - utilize Twitter for interesting changes, builds anything which is to
> small to blog but shows activity on Cayenne

I am trying to use my personal Twitter exclusively for Cayenne: http://twitter.com/#!/andrus_a
 Need to promote it more as well (add it to my email sig or something?). But maybe creating
a project-controlled twitter is better on the long run.

> I am willing to help in this area and write blog posts. Either on my
> blog (which has up to 5000 unique visitors a month) or on the asf blog
> or both.  But I need a bit guidances from the active developers, to
> spot interesting changes in time and to understand them quickly. A
> review of the posts before publishing would also not be so bad :-)

> - utilize Apache Blog for news
>
> In addition I would like to start some kind of "Cayenne series" on my
> blog. Lets say 1 medium sized article all two weeks. For this I need
> some input about current changes or things of interest. Or even proof
> reading :-) I can also agree to co-writers and would accept complete
> articles from others.

Awesome! I think we have some interesting things to show right away. E.g. this thing about
String IDs discussed in the parallel thread. In combination with map nature of DataObjects
it allows to do some cool stuff. We can talk about using String IDs to refer to objects; building
persistent "aspects" and attaching lifecycle to them with annotations; what can be done with
such aspects; etc. All of this is still rather new and patterns and best practices are still
being discovered (e.g. you can't do regular joins across aspect relationships, so how do you
build your searches, etc.).

I am in love with this whole aspect stuff, as I am doing lots of commercial CMS programming
based on Cayenne and relational DBs. But CMS systems require features more often associated
with JCR (Jackrabbit) technology, rather than ORM. The above if done right allows to have
the best of both ORM and JCR worlds.

Another area is DI configuration. We have a bunch of extension points now, so how do we take
advantage of them to tune an application.

Andrus