cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Using GitHub to submit changes
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:38:06 GMT
On Thu Oct 27 02:14:41 2011, John Huss wrote:
> I see that there is a mirror of the cayenne trunk on GitHub
> here<https://github.com/apache/cayenne>.
>   Is this a good way to submit changes - by forking and creating a pull
> request?  Or is it better to use the Jira and attach a patch?  Any
> preference?
>
> By the way, I have just started using Cayenne in the last few months after
> having using WebObjects for several years.  I'd like to help out by
> contributing back things that I've needed.  I've submitted a few patches to
> Cayenne already and I'm hoping these will be useful to others.  What is the
> procedure / timeline for seeing things get integrated into trunk?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Feel free to use github in that way if it helps you assemble your code,
however right now the ONLY way to get changes back into the Cayenne
source tree is by lodging a Jira with a patch attached. This is because
this mechanism has been cleared by Apache legal team with regard to
your agreement to release the code under the Apache license.

Conversation is occurring within Apache about making this simpler in
the future, but for now... Jira patches.

As for timeline, that entirely depends on how clean your code is and if
you can get a committer to review and commit them. The process will be
simplified if you jump on this list and discuss your changes.

Oh, and welcome! We look forward to seeing what you have done with
Cayenne.

Regards
Ari

--