cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Deleting doc wiki spaces - LAST CHANCE TO STOP IT
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:00:01 GMT
I don't really see the point of deleting something that isn't causing
any harm by sitting there 'just in case'. But (4) I understand... :-)
If it makes you feel good, then go for it. Remember to keep a backup of
the html somewhere since we'll have no way to regenerate them if
something goes wrong or
some automated script 'cleans up' our website.

Ari

On Tue Oct 11 17:41:54 2011, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Let me try to formulate my argument as bullet points. I think there's some misunderstanding
what will happen...

> 1. We are NOT deleting any HTML docs - old or new (Mike's concern). We are deleting the
wiki backend that manages them that nobody uses anyways (especially for old docs).

> 2. We have a Confluence migration coming. Why not finish 80% of it now and get it out
of the way. It will happen in 6 (or something) months anyways.

> 3. I want to discourage (by making it impossible) using the wiki for further document
work. Minor fixes to old docs can be done in HTML (haven't seen anyone doing them for ages).
New docs must be done via docbook.

> 4. Finally we have very limited resources maintaining everything Cayenne related. And
a chance to get rid of huge blob of "stuff" just makes me feel good :-)

> Andrus
>

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:04 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree. Why are we deleting the spaces? Say we need to fix a problem in the
old docs in the future... nice to be able to do that in Confluence. I don't see the benefit
in removing this resource. Why not let it live for as long as Confluence remains live at Apache,
or until we break the whole autoexport thing with a move to Apache CMS in the future.

>> Ari
>>

>> On 11/10/11 11:40 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>>> Yes, please don't delete any old cayenne documentation if those
>>> documents cannot be found elsewhere.

on learning Apache CMS, navigating a bunch of obscure Perl, etc.

That is still useful.

dynamic on Wiki, (b) autoexported on wiki (cwiki.apache.org), (c) cloned from (b) to our site,
(d) - specially formatted version of (a) in SVN. My suggestion is to remove (a) and (b) as
we don't need them, but keep the (c) and (d).

>> --
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Aristedes Maniatis