cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Heads up: new Cache Implementation on the ASF
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:06:54 GMT
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Saw your message on the board list. Whatever the Incubator docs might say, I think you
are looking for Incubator PMC sponsorship with the goal to become a TLP.

Are you sure on that?
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
They say only if I don't know where the project goes afterwards, then
I should use the IPMC sponsorship

oh dear........ i hate it when something like that happens :-(

> Andrus
>

> On Sep 20, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> Makes sense to me - I feel similar. But I needed to ask, because one
>> of the core developers was a huge fan of Cayenne in the past ;-)
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> I am of the opinion that "umbrella TLP's" that aggregate loosely related subjects
are a bad. The most visible such project at Apache is Jakarta, and it is taking years to dissolve
it, moving active projects to TLP's and inactive - to the Attic. ASF doesn't have a limit
on the number of TLPs and the Board is actively encouraging each distinct community to orm
its own.

>>> To me the main criteria for a subproject would be a significant overlap in the
committer/PMC base between the 2 projects. Otherwise we are just impeding the community development
IMO.

>>> Consider that DirectMemory becoming a Cayenne subproject would mean that Cayenne
PMC will need to vote on DirectMemory releases. This doesn't make much sense with the current
PMC composition (we have no people involved in DirectMemory development on the current PMC).
If we vote in DirectMemory folks to the Cayenne PMC, and they will vote on DirectMemory releases,
while we'll vote on Cayenne releases, we still don't have a cohesive PMC, and there's no reason
why DirectMemory can't be a TLP in that later case anyways.

>>> Hope this makes sense.
>>>
>>> Andrus

some interest in the Incubator. So good luck, and keep us posted. We are definitely interested
to try it out as a Cayenne cache provider.

OpenMeetings.

we'll definitely be interested to try it out and give feedback. The usability of DirectMemory
in Cayenne depends on

it will be more appropriate for SHARED, as it stores DataRows with no relationships and detached
from the context).

They

--
http://www.grobmeier.de