cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ObjectContext.localObject refactoring
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:23:22 GMT
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> I don't
> know that I've tried it: what does localObject() do if the object already
> exists in the target context? Will it overwrite any modified attributes?

Unless something has changed, localObject(obj) returns the original
object obj if it is already in the context.

I don't find localCopy() that confusing.  But perhaps
attachLocalCopy() would be better.   attachCopy() makes it sound like
a copy is always created.   However, the only piece of information not
conveyed in the current (or proposed) naming schemes that I wish was
conveyed is that modified changes in the original object will not be
copied into the new object.   That isn't obvious or intuitive.

By the way, JPA.merge() is not close enough to localCopy() to use.
Merge is more of a "update the object if it already exists rather than
inserting a new one at commit".   I think merge() would be a bad
choice.