cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Heads up: new Cache Implementation on the ASF
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:29:22 GMT
I am of the opinion that "umbrella TLP's" that aggregate loosely related subjects are a bad.
The most visible such project at Apache is Jakarta, and it is taking years to dissolve it,
moving active projects to TLP's and inactive - to the Attic. ASF doesn't have a limit on the
number of TLPs and the Board is actively encouraging each distinct community to orm its own.

To me the main criteria for a subproject would be a significant overlap in the committer/PMC
base between the 2 projects. Otherwise we are just impeding the community development IMO.

Consider that DirectMemory becoming a Cayenne subproject would mean that Cayenne PMC will
need to vote on DirectMemory releases. This doesn't make much sense with the current PMC composition
(we have no people involved in DirectMemory development on the current PMC). If we vote in
DirectMemory folks to the Cayenne PMC, and they will vote on DirectMemory releases, while
we'll vote on Cayenne releases, we still don't have a cohesive PMC, and there's no reason
why DirectMemory can't be a TLP in that later case anyways.

Hope this makes sense.

Andrus

On Sep 20, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> Looking at my reply, the first paragraph came out a bit brash. Didn't mean it to
sound that way :)

> no worries, i didn't get it wrong :-)
>
>> Certainly a great proposal, and looks like it has already generated quite some interest
in the Incubator. So good luck, and keep us posted. We are definitely interested to try it
out as a Cayenne cache provider.

> Will keep you posted. Anyway any other Cayenne committer is welcome
> to, either as dev, mentor whatever.
>
> Another question- DirectMemory is currently looking for a sponsor. One
> of the thing which has been discussed internally was if Cayenne would
> sponsor it. After incubation it would be expected that DM is an
> subproject of Cayenne. As the implementation is basically a general
> one, I have some feeling it would make a good TLD. On the other hand,
> it can be made a TLD later and could start as Cayenne-Subproject. This
> might have benefits for all sides.
>
> How do you (all) feel about this?
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

>> Cheers,
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Sep 20, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> I can't mentor any more projects. I am mentoring Wave and also incoming OpenMeetings.
>>>
>>> The idea is great, and as long as it is not as invasive as Terracotta, we'll
definitely be interested to try it out and give feedback. The usability of DirectMemory in
Cayenne depends on

>>> * the API model they provide to the applications
>>> * whether we can build a cache adapter with groups support
>>> * on speed of serialization with LOCAL and SHARED cache. (I'd imagine it will
be more appropriate for SHARED, as it stores DataRows with no relationships and detached from
the context).