cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Type safe queries & more
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:03:51 GMT
On 16/09/11 8:23 PM, Atli Páll Hafsteinsson wrote:
> For me a big part of the reason for implementing this is to get rid of
> text based queries as they cannot be verified and therefore error
> prone. Plus you have to know more about the data structure.

It is possible to have both and still create at this clean chained API. This is already possible
in Cayenne today (EJBQL style queries compared to regular Cayenne expressions). Other ORMS
(like ActiveRecord in Rails [1] ) also support this dual approach, and I've found it quite
useful to be able to mix them as the need arises.

Ari

[1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_querying.html (Note the ":clients" syntax
is as close as Ruby gets to enumerations or keys, given that the entire language is untyped).

--
Aristedes Maniatis