cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Eclipse Plugin preview
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:49:11 GMT
Just tried it for the first time myself. Pretty cool! Thanks to all who made it happen.

Building... Before you can do "mvn clean install", you need to do a fresh local build of Cayenne
trunk, as it is a dependency. For those who don't want to build it, I placed the jar here
http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar to move
along this discussion.

Now a bit of bikeshedding...

* The naming of plugin doesn't seem to be the same as most other Eclipse plugins:
cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-3.1M4-SNAPSHOT.jar vs. say org.apache.commons.codec_1.3.0.v20100518-1140.jar
* Screen positioning and size doesn't take into account preferences saved from the Modeler
started previously outside Eclipse. Other preferences are used correctly.
* We'll need better icons. The current ones don't have transparency.

But the above is all minor. The plugin works and I hope will become a platform for further
Modeler integration with Eclipse. So everybody who's interested in that, please give it a
try and let's discuss our next steps:

1. How are we going to release this - include the jar in Cayenne core? release it separately?
are there any licensing obstacles to releasing the plugin within Apache (incompatible deps)?

2. What are the immediate next features that we need to make it more useful / more user-friendly?

Thoughts?

Andrus

On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:

> There is a lot of time passed since the idea of Cayenne Eclipse integration appeared.
And finally we have actual code in our svn repository (thanks to Eshan and Ksenia mentoring
him for their work). I've fixed some bugs and did some cleanup on the code last days and it
seems like the plugin is quite workable.
> As a benefit of Eclipse integration we receive such useful thing as ability to open project
in Cayenne Modeler right from Eclipse IDE just by double clicking on Cayenne project's xml
file (now all cayenne xml files are marked with Cayenne icon in Eclipse) at Project Explorer
view. And another handy feature is automatic class regeneration and update of Eclipse project
when we save it in the Modeler.

> To try it you just need to do svn checkout from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/sandbox/cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin-gsoc/
and build it with maven by running "mvn clean install". Then copy cayenne-modeler-eclipse-plugin*.jar
to your .../eclipse/plugins/ directory, restart Eclipse and the plugin is ready to work.