cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cayenne for other platforms
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:19:40 GMT
And we can also work towards the same goal from another direction - simplifying the protocol
to make it easier to build "ad hoc" clients without sacrificing the features. We've thought
of that before, just never got around doing it.

Andrus

On Aug 27, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> First some background on ROP extensions. Tore did some experiments with Cocoa Cayenne
[1], there was an old GSoC project exposing ROP server via SOAP [2], and then there was a
recent Android success report (with the existing Java client).

> I suspect writing a meaningful client in another language is quite challenging. What
ROP does at the high-level is providing a remote stub of the DataChannel [3], and a servlet
session to allow connecting to the same server-side DataContext (or not... this can theoretically
be made completely stateless on the server side). This appears deceptively simple. DataChannel
has only 4 operations, (you can ignore 'getEventManager', so let's say - 3 operations), but
the number of object types passed through these 3 methods, and the complexity of the data
structures made it prohibitive so far.

> So to create a wow factor, you'd need a PHP version of ObjectContext that can manage
object relationships and build the diffs for the 'onSync' operation, provide lazy faulting
of relationships, etc.

> I think whoever does the PHP implementation can start small though - just implement DataChannel.onQuery
and a subset of queries, say NamedQuery (this is the simplest one and also the most benign
from the server security standpoint). And bring back DataRows instead of full objects. Even
that can be pretty powerful, and cause enough interest to get the rest of ObjectContext going.