cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Value of starting the Modeler from Maven
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:33:51 GMT
A problem with the ObjectStyle repo, at least for us, and I suspect
others, is it isn't trusted by our firewall and we can't download
through it.  They opened the main Apache repos for us, but most
everything else is locked down.

mrg

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Robert Zeigler
<robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
> I'm on OSX.  And I often use the mvn plugin.  I do a lot of from-command-line work,
and the plugin does a good job, usually, of finding the model files for a maven project.  Combined
with some wrapper scripts, I can be anywhere in the project directory structure and open the
modeler in an instant.  I'm willing to put in the time/effort to keep it up-to-date, but
we would still need to resolve the dependencies problem.  Do we put them in objectstyle's
repo. and add a reference to the repository in the modeler plugin's pom?

> Robert
>
> On Jul 6, 2011, at 7/68:07 AM , Michael Gentry wrote:
>
>> Would it surprise you that I found at least two guys here running CM
>> out of Maven?  I hope so, because it surprised me.  This was on OS X,
>> too, and it looked pretty pathetic.  I've since convinced them to use
>> the .app, but there are definitely people out there who use it from
>> Maven.
>>
>> mrg
>>
>> PS. That's not to imply supporting it is a requirement.
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> On top of our other woes with certain Maven deps not being available on central,
we have to support starting the Modeler from Maven. E.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1580
So I am coming back to the question of "do we care to support maven-cayenne-modeler-plugin":

>>> http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/maven2-modeler.html
>>>
>>> ? We had a discussion about it some years ago, but I am still puzzled who would
use it.

>>> If we decide that we need to keep supporting it, somebody needs to take care
of the deps. If we fail to submit them all to central, one option may be rolling out a real
Maven repo manager on objectstyle.org (probably Nexus) and start maintaining all our dependencies
there.