cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Configuration Class?
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:34:36 GMT
Correct.

Since ObjectContext (server or ROP client) is a "disconnected" object in Cayenne transactions
are something different compared to say Hibernate (that's my guess anyways, I don't know much
about Hibernate). Cayenne server transactions are a "bridge" to JDBC transactions (there's
not Cayenne specific transactional behavior, other than locking a JDBC connection for the
operation duration, and allowing users to delineate a custom JDBC tx scope).

Since there's no JDBC on the ROP client, there are no Cayenne transaction there. Potentially
we can extend this abstraction to the client, but it was thought originally that this will
break a simple request/response webservice'y feel of ROP.

Andrus

On Jul 25, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>>> I was just surprise that getDataDomain() is not in CayenneRuntime. It
>>> seemed to me that would be the logical place. I can see getChannel and
>>> getContext is in CayenneRuntime too. So, why not getDataDomain?
>>
>> The answer is ROP. DataDomain is a "server" configuration object, and is not available
in the "client" (ROP) configuration.