cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Value of starting the Modeler from Maven
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:47:11 GMT
Robert, Thanks for offering help. Let's maybe start by analyzing the list of dependencies that
come out from external repos (e.g. by commenting out all references to such external repos
in all poms, and trying to build both Cayenne and the Modeler with a clean local repo). If
we are lucky and can find all the sources, we can prepare the bundles and submit them to Central:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+Maven+Central

If not, we'll setup Nexus on ObjectStyle.

So the use of ObjectStyle repo will be minimized (and since we are relying on it already,
it won't get any worse for the users who are blocked now).

Andrus

On Jul 6, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> A problem with the ObjectStyle repo, at least for us, and I suspect
> others, is it isn't trusted by our firewall and we can't download
> through it.  They opened the main Apache repos for us, but most
> everything else is locked down.
>
> mrg
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Robert Zeigler
> <robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
>> I'm on OSX.  And I often use the mvn plugin.  I do a lot of from-command-line work,
and the plugin does a good job, usually, of finding the model files for a maven project.
Combined with some wrapper scripts, I can be anywhere in the project directory structure and
open the modeler in an instant.  I'm willing to put in the time/effort to keep it up-to-date,
but we would still need to resolve the dependencies problem.  Do we put them in objectstyle's
repo. and add a reference to the repository in the modeler plugin's pom?

>> Robert
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2011, at 7/68:07 AM , Michael Gentry wrote:
>>
>>> Would it surprise you that I found at least two guys here running CM
>>> out of Maven?  I hope so, because it surprised me.  This was on OS X,
>>> too, and it looked pretty pathetic.  I've since convinced them to use
>>> the .app, but there are definitely people out there who use it from
>>> Maven.
>>>
>>> mrg
>>>
>>> PS. That's not to imply supporting it is a requirement.

we have to support starting the Modeler from Maven. E.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1580
So I am coming back to the question of "do we care to support maven-cayenne-modeler-plugin":

of the deps. If we fail to submit them all to central, one option may be rolling out a real
Maven repo manager on objectstyle.org (probably Nexus) and start maintaining all our dependencies
there.