cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@puregumption.com>
Subject Re: Value of starting the Modeler from Maven
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 23:36:29 GMT
Running with maven 2.2.1.
I commented out all references to repositories (including plugin repositories) EXCEPT for
the reference to the apache snapshot repository and the reference to the central maven plugin
repository in the topmost pom.

Following is a list of artifacts that caused the build to fail, and the path to the artifact.
Each time I encountered a failure, I manually installed it to my local repo so I would be
able to continue the install and find all of the "missing" dependencies.

1) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1

2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1

  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1

3) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2

4) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0

5) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6

6) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1

7) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0
  Path to dependency:
  	1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-doc-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
  	2) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0

Then I hit this exception:
Running org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireExecutionException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest;
nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager; nested
exception is org.apache.maven.surefire.testset.TestSetFailedException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest;
nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
org.apache.maven.surefire.testset.TestSetFailedException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest;
nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
	at org.apache.cayenne.conf.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:183)
	at org.apache.cayenne.conf.DefaultConfiguration.<init>(DefaultConfiguration.java:59)
	at org.apache.cayenne.conf.DefaultConfiguration.<init>(DefaultConfiguration.java:47)
	at org.apache.cayenne.unit.CayenneCase$1.<init>(CayenneCase.java:55)
	at org.apache.cayenne.unit.CayenneCase.<clinit>(CayenneCase.java:52)

So I had to -DskipTests to finish the build.

Robert

On Jul 6, 2011, at 7/65:52 PM , Robert Zeigler wrote:

> Ok, I've commented out all references to external repositories in every pom and cleared
out my cached m2 repo.  I'm now attempting to build/install cayenne.

> Robert
>
> On Jul 6, 2011, at 7/611:47 AM , Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Robert, Thanks for offering help. Let's maybe start by analyzing the list of dependencies
that come out from external repos (e.g. by commenting out all references to such external
repos in all poms, and trying to build both Cayenne and the Modeler with a clean local repo).
If we are lucky and can find all the sources, we can prepare the bundles and submit them to
Central:

>> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+Maven+Central
>>
>> If not, we'll setup Nexus on ObjectStyle.
>>
>> So the use of ObjectStyle repo will be minimized (and since we are relying on it
already, it won't get any worse for the users who are blocked now).

>> Andrus
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
>>> A problem with the ObjectStyle repo, at least for us, and I suspect
>>> others, is it isn't trusted by our firewall and we can't download
>>> through it.  They opened the main Apache repos for us, but most
>>> everything else is locked down.
>>>
>>> mrg

work, and the plugin does a good job, usually, of finding the model files for a maven project.
 Combined with some wrapper scripts, I can be anywhere in the project directory structure
and open the modeler in an instant.  I'm willing to put in the time/effort to keep it up-to-date,
but we would still need to resolve the dependencies problem.  Do we put them in objectstyle's
repo. and add a reference to the repository in the modeler plugin's pom?

on central, we have to support starting the Modeler from Maven. E.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1580
So I am coming back to the question of "do we care to support maven-cayenne-modeler-plugin":

take care of the deps. If we fail to submit them all to central, one option may be rolling
out a real Maven repo manager on objectstyle.org (probably Nexus) and start maintaining all
our dependencies there.