cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne site
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 13:10:48 GMT
> 2. Site (Markdown seems preferred, but that's a lot of work since it doesn't
> resemble html. Perhaps we could use raw html instead and look at migrating
> pages one at a time, or wait for someone at Apache to write a Confluence ->
> markdown converter)

I was reading about markdown last week.

For any markup that is not covered by Markdown’s syntax, you simply
use HTML itself. There’s no need to preface it or delimit it to
indicate that you’re switching from Markdown to HTML; you just use the
tags.

The only restrictions are that block-level HTML elements — e.g. <div>,
by blank lines, and the start and end tags of the block should not be
indented with tabs or spaces. Markdown is smart enough not to add
extra (unwanted) <p> tags around HTML block-level tags.

So you can start by making each markdown page raw html and convert it
as desired.  Or you can take a further step and convert that into
markdown:

Also, Aaron's [html2text][] is a very handy (and free) utility for
turning HTML into Markdown-formatted plain text.

  [html2text]:          http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/html2text/