cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: docbook
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 00:17:22 GMT
The best guide for writing docbook format is the online SageHill site.

   http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

By far the best tool for writing docbook is Oxygen. We have had an offer for free licenses
for the Cayenne committers, should we go down the docbook path.

I've tried some html to docbook converters, but the effort to clean up the result was about
equal to the effort in just copying the text over by hand.

The thing with docbook is that there are 10 ways to do anything. We need to write our own
style guide for the choices we make and keep it consistent. For example, there are about 6
different types of list.

Ari

On 26/05/11 10:05 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Hi Ari,
>
> Very nice! I may try to continue writing 3.1 docs in a couple of days. Since I will be
on the plane and offline during that period, I'll probably try to buy a PDF edition of Definitive
Guide (http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html ) from OReilly.

> Also are there any recommended editors for Docbook XML? (I'd hate to manually escape
code chunks).

> Andrus
>
> On May 9, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>
>> I realise I should have mentioned this to the dev list.
>>
>> Quick guide
>>
>> 1. svn up
>> 2. cd main/trunk/docs/docbook/
>> 3. mvn site
>> 4. wait for maven to download the internet
>> 5. open main/target/...
>>
>> Both PDF and html are generated.
>>
>> Ari

main/src/ main/src/images/ stylesheets/
>> Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 14:07:03 -0000
>> From: amaniatis@apache.org
>> To: commits@cayenne.apache.org
>>
>> Author: amaniatis
>> Date: Sun May  1 14:07:02 2011
>> New Revision: 1098308

>> Log:
>> A very rough first cut of the docbook build scripts. This does a few things:
>>
>> 1. Builds the pdf and html docs when you execute "mvn site"
>> 2. Obliterates the ugly and annoying default maven site behaviour
>> 3. Applies style sheets, css, etc
>> 4. Sets up some reasonable defaults for TOC and other styling
>>
>> What isn't done yet is pulling across more than just a few pages of sample docbook.
This will take lots of effort
>> And of course, making it more attractive, which can wait until later.
>>
>> I've put in some sample docbook elements which are interesting: lists, sections,
link and xref, code snippets.

>> This module has not yet been tied into the main Cayenne pom and it is in a folder
location designed to keep out of the way of the existing documentation. When it is complete,
we can move it into a better location.

--
Aristedes Maniatis