cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Unit tests conversion is done
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 15:16:34 GMT
Between myself and Dzmitry Kazimirchyk we just finished a huge project of converting our unit
tests to the DI container. We have a much cleaner test system as a result:

* No more verbose XML files for data sets.
* No more Spring XML configuration.
* Injection into test cases of pretty much anything. This means much less bloat in the tests,
so the actual assertions are easy to see and understand.
* Real inversion of control - now it is possible to build test classes (or common superclasses)
based on a very specific DI configuration. For now we have 2 such configs - ClientCaseModule
and ServerCaseModule plus a few adhoc ones.
* DI container provides correct resource scoping. The only thing in the global scope is DB
schema drop/create. The rest (including instantiation of Cayenne stacks) is in per-test-method
scope. This means that tests can freely alter DataMaps, etc. without having to worry about
resetting them back.

I may still do some refactoring of the DI code, but the main thing is there.

Andrus