cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: GSoC tasks?
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:24:55 GMT
With CAY-400 my concern is the ratio between development and review effort is skewed towards
review. The development part is very simple, once you decide on the naming, etc. Talking of
which, I still need to review the patches by jackCHEN :-)

We had another idea with Ksenia. She started on an Eclipse plugin in sandbox some time ago.
Its concept is much more pragmatic than our previous attempts. It is to integrate Swing CayenneModeler
with Eclipse workflow. So it may have functions like:

1. Start CayenneModeler from Eclipse
2. Run cgen whenever the model changes without a need to refresh by hand.
3. Quickly jump between the Java code in Eclipse and the Model in CM, based on user selections

I think this may be a manageable task (if Ksenia agrees to mentor it ;)) and may lead to something
we can release to the public.

Andrus

On Mar 22, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 21/03/11 11:27 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> "Modeler tasks". Modeler tasks that require conceptual changes (such as an Eclipse
plugin or graph representation of the Model) have been our GSoC favorites, still none of that
made it to production. So if say I suggest a task of switching Modeler to OSGi plugin architecture,
is there a chance this will get done to a point that we can release it?

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-400 is one task I tried to get a student to
work on originally. Perhaps it is too easy/small for GSoC but has the potential to be fleshed
out with how that feature might integrate with generating javadocs, storing database indexing
rules in Cayenne, etc. All those things which a modeler might be asked to deal with, but is
outside the scope of Cayenne as an ORM. That is, the Cayenne modeler sits between being a
tool just for Cayenne as an ORM and a more comprehensive place to document a database. CAY-400
is one aspect of enhancing the 'other' part of the modeler, along with graphviz style visualisation,
etc.

> For a more technically capable student, untangling server and ROP client class hierarchies
and creating common ObjEntities between client and server. I don't know how hard this would
be for a new person though. I know I looked at it but found it got complicated very quickly.