cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: GSoC tasks?
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:23:43 GMT
On 21/03/11 11:27 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> "Modeler tasks". Modeler tasks that require conceptual changes (such as an Eclipse plugin
or graph representation of the Model) have been our GSoC favorites, still none of that made
it to production. So if say I suggest a task of switching Modeler to OSGi plugin architecture,
is there a chance this will get done to a point that we can release it?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-400 is one task I tried to get a student to work
on originally. Perhaps it is too easy/small for GSoC but has the potential to be fleshed out
with how that feature might integrate with generating javadocs, storing database indexing
rules in Cayenne, etc. All those things which a modeler might be asked to deal with, but is
outside the scope of Cayenne as an ORM. That is, the Cayenne modeler sits between being a
tool just for Cayenne as an ORM and a more comprehensive place to document a database. CAY-400
is one aspect of enhancing the 'other' part of the modeler, along with graphviz style visualisation,
etc.

For a more technically capable student, untangling server and ROP client class hierarchies
and creating common ObjEntities between client and server. I don't know how hard this would
be for a new person though. I know I looked at it but found it got complicated very quickly.

Cheers

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis