cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@roxanemy.com>
Subject Re: Article
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:06:35 GMT

On Feb 24, 2011, at 2/245:38 AM , Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> Any article would be beneficial, so at the outset, I say "write about what you know best
and are most comfortable talking about". Beyond that, comparing to Hibernate is useful for
developers familiar with Hibernate but frustrated for some reason. However, discussing Cayenne's
own attributes is probably even more useful. Cayenne stands on its own without needing Hibernate
as a reference point. Some of the interesting areas (in my opinion):

> * the modeler

As much as I love the model, the current "hibernate way" is to code a POJO, occasionally annotating
things to make the associations, etc. clearer.  And then hibernate will build your schema
for you.
It obviates a lot of the need for the modeler since a large fraction of your model winds up
being defined by convention.  If you have a class with property "foo", then, by default, you
have a table with column "foo".
I'm not trying to troll for hibernate here. ;) I still much prefer Cayenne.  But having used
hibernate quite a bit for the past 2.5 years (by necessity, not by my choice ;), I'm at least
somewhat conversant in how a hibernate user might react.  And the fact is that within the
realm of people who have ORM experience, many (most?) of those have hibernate experience.

> * reverse engineering a db
> * ROP (three tier)
> * caching and integration with other providers such as osCache

Hibernate can do that, too. ;)

In short, I definitely agree with "discussion Cayenne's own attributes is probably even more
useful."

Robert