cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Article
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:32:23 GMT
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Robert Zeigler
<robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
> As much as I love the model, the current "hibernate way" is to code a POJO, occasionally
annotating things to make the associations, etc. clearer.  And then hibernate will build
your schema for you.
> It obviates a lot of the need for the modeler since a large fraction of your model winds
up being defined by convention.  If you have a class with property "foo", then, by default,
you have a table with column "foo".
> I'm not trying to troll for hibernate here. ;) I still much prefer Cayenne.  But having
used hibernate quite a bit for the past 2.5 years (by necessity, not by my choice ;), I'm
at least somewhat conversant in how a hibernate user might react.  And the fact is that within
the realm of people who have ORM experience, many (most?) of those have hibernate experience.

Hi Robert,

The downside to annotations (or XML) is you have to *learn* it still.
With Cayenne Modeler, you have a much easier time (especially at the
beginning) by not having to learn framework-specific annotations, etc.
 I don't like digging through the manual as much these days.

mrg